Saturday, December 13, 2014

All Corn Cornbread Muffins




When I was a kid I was never excited about cornbread until one day my mom made them in a muffin tin without a cupcake liner and the edges were crispy and delicious. Since then I have made many different types of cornbread including with corn bits, vegan and with spicy meat. These muffins were my first attempt at gluten-free cornbread. I was more than a little worried about how they would turn out, but they were pretty tasty! I prefer muffins and I decided to make these bite sized, so I used my mini-muffin tin. Look at that delicious streak of butter running through the top of the muffin! Definitely not vegan, but you could make them diary-free by using a butter substitute if you wanted. I just love diary with my corn muffins though, they compliment each other so well, but I did use almond milk instead of regular milk because that is what I had on hand.


All Corn Cornbread Muffins
How I Did It:


3/4 cup + 2 tbsp corn meal (not quick cooking)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup milk of choice
1 tablespoon of honey
2 tbsp butter, melted and slightly cooled

1. Preheat oven to 450. Grease your mini muffin tins.

2. Whisk together cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

3. In a separate bowl, beat together egg, milk, honey, and melted butter.

4. Stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined.

5. Pour or spoon into the muffin tins. It will look like there is too much milk, but the cornmeal will absorb it as it cooks. Drop a small amount of water into any empty muffin tins and cook for about 10 minutes or until the edges start to brown and a toothpick comes out clean.

6. Let cool slighly, then run a knife around the edges to release. Best served warm (they re-heat well).

No comments: