I have been wanting to make a simple treat for someone who loves banana and my first thought was adding a slice of banana to a homemade peanut butter cup. I still might try that, but while brainstorming I came up with this idea which is a bit healthier and much more banana focused. They came out as good as I had hoped (the mixing of the different chocolates and flavors really adds to it in my opinion) and were very easy to make. Freezing them thoroughly before dunking them in the chocolate is a necessary step though so make sure enough time is saved for that.
Chocolate Covered Banana Peanut Butter Bites
How I Did It:
2 ripe bananas
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/8 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Peel and slice your bananas. You won't need the 4 end pieces.
2. Scoop peanut butter on top of a slice of banana (be generous) and cover with another slice. Repeat for the remaining slices, matching up similiar sized pieces.
3. Place all "sandwiches" in a parchment paper lined container in the freezer. Freeze at least for a couple hours, if not overnight.
4. When the sandwiches are nice and frozen, pour your chocolate and butterscotch into a double boiler and heat. Stir occasionally to help melt. Once melted, stir in the vanilla extract.
5. One at a time , place a peanut butter banana sandwich into the melted chocolate. Once coated, carefully scoop out with a fork, letting some of the excess chocolate fall off. Place in a container lined with parchment paper. Repeat for remaining sandwiches, only take 2 out to work with at a time and leaving the rest frozen.
6. Once all of the sandwiches are coated in chocolate, cover the container and place back in the freezer until you are ready to enjoy!