Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Whole Wheat Caramel Apple Cookies



Nothing beats a chocolaty cookie, am I right? Well, while traveling for work last year I had a caramel apple cookie that completely wow'd me. After I was done wishing I had taken two instead of just one, I decided I would have to make my own caramel apple cookies. So I started to look to see if I could find their recipe. Sadly, I couldn't find it or anything that seemed even similar. Skip ahead a year and the fall has brought thoughts of caramel apple cookies back to my brain. Instead of trying to replicate my work cookie, I made my own healthier version and I was pretty impressed with how they turned out.

Whole Wheat Caramel Apple Cookies
How I Did It:

(Makes 10-12 cookies)


3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp + 1 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup diced peeled apples
10 caramels, chopped


1. Whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.

2. Combine the oil and sugar and stir together for a couple minutes with a spoon. Add in the apple sauce, vanilla, and egg. Mix until well combined.

3. In three parts, slowly stir in the dry mixture until just combined. Add in the apples and caramels and stir just until distributed.

4. Cover and place dough in the fridge for 30-60 minutes to firm up.

5. Preheat oven to 375.

6. Form dough into large balls and place on Silpat (or parchment paper) covered cookie sheet.

7. Bake for about 10 minutes or until they look set and not gooey. Unlike other cookies, I do not recommend under-cooking these, but they do go from under-cooked to slightly too cooked very quickly.

8. Let cool for a couple minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. They are the best fresh (with the gooey caramel), but you can store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.

No comments: