Monday, December 16, 2013

Lentil Curry Stew





Lentils are great in soup, but in the past I haven't varied too much from the tried and true lentil barley soup until last year when I added some cumin to the traditional lentil barley soup. I'm not sure why I never tried adding curry. I mean, curry and lentils...not exactly a new concept. When I was home over Thanksgiving my mom made lentil curry stew from a recipe that she had found in the American Institute for Cancer Research's newsletter which she apparently receives. We all loved it and I knew I would have to make it myself. Of course, in typical fashion I changed it around a bit. Among other things, I subbed cauliflower for the potato, added more curry and some extra veggies (rainbow chard for one). In my opinion the curry flavor is just right and everything works really well together. I think this will be my new go-to lentil soup.

Curry Lentil Stew
How I Did It:


1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
3 tsp garlic
2 cups onions, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
4 celery ribs, chopped
3 tbsp curry powder
3 tsp thyme
64 oz vegetable broth
28 oz canned San Marzano diced tomatoes
2 cups lentils
2 tsp parsley
1 bunch rainbow chard, chopped
1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped

1. In a large pot, heat oil and then add in garlic, onions, carrots, celery, and the ribs of the chard. Saute for about 3 minutes.

2. Add the curry and thyme and stir to coat. Pour in vegetable broth, tomatoes, and lentils. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil. Lower to just above a simmer and cover and cook for about 20 - 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.

3. When the lentils are tender add in the chard leaves, cauliflower, and parsley. Stir well and cover again for about 10 minutes. Serve.

No comments: