Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Gluten Free Brownie Bites





Ever since I was a kid and would help my mom make brownies for the local soup kitchen, I have known I love brownies. Cake-like brownies are okay, but give me a gooey fudgy brownie and I'll...well, ask for another. Sadly, not everyone can eat brownies and for my friend who cannot eat gluten I made these brownies using almond meal. It was harder to make them super-fudgy, but they are moist, chewy, and dense and very inviting. I would say they have a subtle almond flavor and it would be very hard to eat just one.

Gluten Free Brownie Bites
How I Did It:

(makes 15 brownie bites)

1 cup almond meal
3/4 cup powdered sugar
4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/16 tsp salt
1/3 cup egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
6 tsp melted butter, slightly cooled

1. Preheat oven to 400. Grease a mini muffin tin and set aside.

2. Whisk together almond meal, powdered sugar, cocoa, and salt until well combined.

3. Stir in egg whites and vanilla.

4. Stir in butter in three parts. Stir a few times with each addition, and with the last addition stir until fully combined and smooth.

5. Fill mini muffin tins almost to the top with batter. Fill any empty tins under halfway with water.

6. Bake for about 10 minutes or until brownies puff up and spring back when lightly touched. Do not overcook or they will be dry. Remove from oven and let cool.




No comments: