Thursday, January 10, 2013

Vegetable Strata


I know, I know, what an ugly picture. I wasn't even going to post it, but it was so good I couldn't let it be forgotten. Yes, trust me it tastes so much better than it looks. I was really happy with how it turned out. I made it for a brunch gathering (and when I took the first bite I said, "Oh, this is good!" in front of everyone) and had the leftovers for lunches and dinners. Perfect! I'll definitely be making this again (maybe add even more veggies next time...you can never have too many veggies)!

Vegetable Strata
How I Did It:


2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp chopped garlic
2 green peppers
3 cups broccoli, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
5 whole wheat English muffins, toasted and torn into pieces
2 cups cheddar jack cheese, grated
2 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs

1. Coat a 9x13" pan with oil and line with the torn english muffins. Set aside.

2. In a large pan, heat olive oil and then add the salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper and onions. Cook for a couple minutes and then add garlic, green peppers, and broccoli. Cook for about 10 minutes.

3. Spread vegetable mixture over the english muffins and top with 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.

4. In a bowl whisk together eggs, milk and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Pour mixture evenly over the vegetables and cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to let everything meld together (I made it the night before and kept it in the fridge overnight).

5. Preheat oven to 350. Bake strata covered for 30 minutes. Remove foil, coat with 1/2 cup cheese and bake for another 30 minutes or so until it starts to golden and is set.


No comments: