Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Vegan French Toast


This morning I had my heart set on french toast. I had been thinking about french toast since Friday when my co-worker gave me cinnamon honey butter that she had made. I tried it on regular toast and realized it's sweetness would be perfect on french toast. As I was pulling out the ingredients  (all 3 of them) I realized I didn't have eggs. I could have run to the store, but instead I decided to improvise and hope for the best. As it turns out adding a little flour to milk (I used vanilla almond milk)  not only thickens it, but makes for really good french toast! It seemed like it took longer to cook than normal, but it was worth the wait! I did use the butter that I had been looking forward to, but I'm sure it would be good with a regular non-dairy spread. I tried a piece plain first and it was moist and flavorful enough to eat it that way too (maybe with a sprinkling of powdered sugar?).

Vegan French Toast
How I Did It:


3 slices of sandwich bread
1 cup of vanilla almond milk
2 1/2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
canola oil for frying

1. Combine milk, flour, vanilla and cinnamon together in a medium sized bowl.

2. Coat a large frying pan with canola oil and set to medium heat.

3. Dunk one piece of bread into the mixture at a time. Keep it fully submerged until it is soaked in the mixture.

4. When the oil is heated, carefully place each of the dripping pieces of bread in the pan. Cook until lightly brown and no longer soggy and then flip.

5. Serve immediately with your favorite spread or topping!




No comments: