Thursday, December 13, 2012

Snickerdoodle Blondies


For my grandfather's big (90th!) birthday party I was tasked with making the cake (chocolate) and an extra dessert. I decided that maybe I should make something non-chocolate since my Mom planned on making chocolate chip cookies. I was thinking sugar cookies or sugar cookie bars, but I knew I would be tempted to frost them, and people probably didn't need more frosting after the cake. Then cinnamon came into my head. Desserts with cinnamon, while not coming close to chocolate, are almost always pretty darn good. These bars could be called cinnamon blondies and are similar in texture to fudgy brownies. And just like my brownies, I added some chips in there (cinnamon in this case, of course). What I am telling you is, despite their appearance, they are not boring. With all of the cinnamon flavor they would make a great (and easy) dessert to bring to a holiday party!

Snickerdoodle Blondies
How I Did It:

(Makes 24 bars)

2 2/3 cup AP flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
8 oz (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups cinnamon chips

For the topping:
2 tbsps sugar
3 tsps cinnamon


1. Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9x13" baking pan and set aside.

2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Set aside.

3. In a larger bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy (will take almost 5 minutes). Beat in eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated. Beat in vanilla.

4. On low speed, gradually beat in the flour mixture (in 3-4 parts) until just combined. With a wooden spoon, mix in the cinnamon chips.

5. Spread dough evenly into the pan. You will need a spoon/spatula as the dough is the consistency of cookie dough. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and using a teaspoon, sprinkle evenly on top of the dough.

6. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes until the top looks slightly crisp and it springs back slighly when gently pressed.

7. Cool completely before cutting. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.


No comments: