Monday, September 10, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate S'Mores Bars


Who doesn't like s'mores? Even people that don't like sweets like s'mores. There is just something about all of the flavors together that is hard to resist! Or maybe it's more the fun of sitting around a campfire trying to craft the best one yet. For me it's both. I am always the person to bring s'mores materials to any campfire. It's not a campfire without roasting marshmallows and what goes better with marshmallows than a little chocolate and graham? One time while was camping, a friend's new girlfriend brought Reese's Peanut Butter Cups to use instead of chocolate bars. Needless to say, she was well loved after that. If you haven't tried it, you really should.

I have made s'mores at home, but it's really just not the same. When you're home with all of your appliances you automatically expect flavor and quality to increase. S'mores are still good, but there is always something that is better. Well, I have found the better. I know these bars looks good, but trust me when I tell you they taste even better. No, really. It's like the perfected s'more... improved. The chocolate (even though it's by far not my favorite chocolate, I had to use Hershey's since it's the flavor of a s'more, and in a s'more I love it) is soft and melty, but won't drip all over you, the marshmallow won't pop out one side and be gone in two bites, and the graham cracker flavor melds perfectly without a messy crunch. I made them for a BBQ and everyone took some home (without me or the host offering), and when I had a piece the next day, I was re-delighted by how tasty it was! The only thing I would change is maybe use more peanut butter cups next time for a stronger peanut butter flavor. Oh, and they are easy to make...maybe I should call them "Oven S'mores"!




Peanut Butter Chocolate S'Mores Bars
How I did it:


1 1/3 cups AP flour
3/4 cup finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 extra-large Hershey's milk chocolate bars
8 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
2 cups marshmallow fluff

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9" square baking pan.

2. In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

3. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.

4. Slowly beat in dry ingredients until just combined.

5. Spread half of the dough in the bottom of the prepared baking pan, press down into an even layer.

6. Break up chocolate bars and evenly distribute on top. Cut peanut butter cups in half around the circumference and then in half again through the middle. Place evenly on top of the chocolate layer. Spoon fluff on top of the chocolate layers as evenly as you can.

7. Flatten chunks of the remaining dough and place on top of the fluff layer. It's okay if it is not completely covered (the fluff will just poke through), but make sure the spaces are small and spread out.

8. Bake for about 30 minutes until top is lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into bars. Store at room temperature.



No comments: