Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Thin(ish) and Chewy Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies




Everyone has their favorite type of chocolate chip cookies, but the main two debates seem to be between thin and crispy and thick and chewy. Personally, I love a thick and chewy chocolate chip cookie and have made several in that style, but as I am trying to experiment more I decided to try a thin and chewy chocolate chip cookie. I played with the sugar, flour, butter and eggs and I would say it was a pretty good experiment.  I tried browning butter for the first time and it really did change the flavor - it was quite nice I thought. While they were very tasty, they weren't as thin or as melt-in-your-mouth-chewy as I would have liked them to be. Texture is important, especially in a cookie. Everyone liked them, but no one was "wowed." I strive for the "wow." :) Oh well, I guess I will have to do more tests!

Thin(ish) and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
How I did it:


2 sticks butter, browned
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla


1. Brown the butter. To do this, slice the butter in a pan on medium heat. The butter will melt quickly and once it does be sure to whisk it frequently. Your browned butter will have a nutty aroma - be careful not to overdo it or you will burn your butter and need to start over. Once browned to your liking, remove from the heat and set aside.

2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

3. In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until well combined and then beat in the egg and vanilla.

4. Slowly beat in the dry ingredients until fully combined. Do not over-beat.

5. Stir in chocolate chips and then cover and let rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

6. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line baking sheets with parchment paper.

7. Place heaping tablespoonfuls of batter 2" apart and bake for 10-15 minutes. Note the color of your cookies as you put them in as they will already be more brown due to the dark brown sugar and the butter. Remove from the pan immediately and place on a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.


No comments: