Sunday, January 20, 2013

Hearty Apple Pecan Cake



My favorite desserts (after those with chocolate) are apple desserts. From the simple apple sauce and caramelized apples to fritters, crisps, bars and pies...cooked apples just make everything better. I am the person who always replaces walnuts with pecans in recipes. Same crunch with better flavor (walnuts are just so borrring)! So you can see how when I saw this "breakfast cake" at Oh She Glows I had to try it out. 


I used more apple and apple sauce than she did and I would do the same if I made it again. Maybe I should say when I make it again. Since I'm not vegan, I used honey instead of maple syrup since I prefer that flavor (the extra apple sauce helped moisten up the batter enough). I had it for breakfast this morning and between the whole wheat flour and the pecans, it really kept me full and satisfied until I was ready to eat again (I had slightly more than shown below).



Hearty Apple Pecan Cake
How I Did It:


1 cup pecans, chopped
3 apples, peeled and chopped
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 buttery spread, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 + 1/8 cup +1 tbsp honey (to make this vegan, use maple syrup)
2 single serving no sugar added apple sauce cups

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 8x8 casserole dish and then spread 1 tbsp of the honey along the bottom. You will really have to rub it around as it does not spread as well as maple syrup.

2. Cover the bottom of the dish with a full layer of the chopped apples and slightly under 1/2 cup of pecans. Set aside.

3. In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.

4. In a separate bowl mix together the spread, vanilla, remaining honey, and apple sauce.

5. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Spread half on top of the apples and pecans. Add another layer of apples and pecans on top, reserving some to sprinkle the top with. Spread the rest of the batter on top and then the remaining apples and pecans on top of that. Press down lightly on the apples and pecans. 

6. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let sit until just warm before cutting. Store any remaining in the refrigerator.


No comments: