Saturday, November 10, 2012

Kale and White Bean Tomato Soup



I am a big fan of kale. Let me rephrase that...I am a big fan of cooked down kale in soup and I think it tastes especially good with tomato. And it is so good for you! All greens are great, but kale especially.  Despite this I hadn't made a soup that was kale based yet so I decided to give it a try. I know "kale and white bean soup" is a thing so I decided to try that, but with a tomato base and of course it wouldn't be soup made by me if I didn't add a few extra veggies in there!

I am continually surprised with how much kale cooks down. I started out by putting half the amount of kale in thinking that would most likely be plenty, but I ended up using the full amount I had bought which turned out to be just right. The only protein in this is the white beans and there is no grains at all, but just one bowl was enough to fill me right up! Other more seemingly hearty soups have had me going back for seconds, so this is a big deal. I have had it on several different days now so it is not a fluke. Beyond that, I love the kale, tomato, and white bean flavors together. This is a soup I will definitely be making again.

Kale and White Bean Tomato Soup
How I Did It:



2 cans San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes
32 oz low sodium veg broth
16 oz Kale
3 celery, chopped
2 cans white (navy) beans, drained and rinsed
1 zucchini, sliced and halved
1 yellow squash, sliced and halved
1/2 onion, diced
3 tsp garlic, minced
2 tsp basil
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp parsley
3 tsp oregano

1. Pour peeled tomatoes with sauce into large pot on and mash with a spoon until the tomatoes are broken up, but large chunks still remain. Add broth and turn heat up to create a gentle boil.

2. Add kale, celery and half of the spices, including the onion and garlic. Stir well and cover.

3. Once the kale has fully cooked down add the zucchini, yellow squash, beans, and the rest of the spices. Mix to combine well. Keep covered and gently boiling, stirring occasionally.

4. Cook until celery has softened and serve. Leftovers keep in the refrigerator for up to a week or frozen for later enjoyment.

No comments: