Monday, June 4, 2012

Coconut Blondies


Don't worry, this isn't turning into a "Blonde Brownie" blog. After making the cookie butter blondies someone was asking me what a "bondie" is exactly. I went into a long explanation of a blonde brownie before he stopped me and said, "So, basically a brownie without the chocolate?" Right. Yes. I guess I could have just said that. I also like to think of it as a great (chewy and delightful) vehicle to test out flavors.

After coming back from a weekend of camping I needed a quick dessert to bring to a BBQ (like, very quick). So I whipped up these bad boys while my hair was drying. No, seriously. So simple...and absolutely delicious! Butterscotch, milk chocolate and coconut...such a great (and very tempting) combination.

Coconut Blondies
How I did it:

(makes 16 bars)

1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup shredded coconut
3/4 cup of milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips

1. Place butter in a small bowl and microwave for 1 minute. If the butter isn't completely melted, give it a little stir. Set aside to cool-down a bit.

2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Using canola oil, grease a 8 inch square baking pan and set aside.

3. In a small bowl whisk together the flour and salt. Set aside.

4. Pour melted butter into a larger bowl and mix with the brown sugar until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.

5. Stir in flour mixture 1/3 at a time. Add in coconut and milk and butterscotch chips.

6. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the top starts to look golden brown. The top should be set, but the inside should be still very moist (not completely cooked). If you over-bake them they will be dry and more cake-like and not nearly as addicting.

7. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.


No comments: