Monday, June 25, 2012

Chocolate Chip Blondies with a Secret


These are so gooey and delicious you would never know they are not only vegan, but gluten-free as well! They have a secret ingredient that if you didn't know about you'd never guess! Garbanzo beans! No, don't walk away - they are really good, trust me! I can't take credit for them though...I found the recipe over at Chocolate Covered Katie. If you are at all into alternative healthier desserts you should really check out her blog, if you haven't already. 


I made these last minute to bring to share with the girls in the apartment upstairs. I told them they were vegan (my roommate is vegan) and they both seemed to really like them. I mentioned that there was no flour in them and of course they wanted to know what the base was. I waited until they had each had one and I told them. The response? "Well, in that case..." reaching for another one! I personally think that you can taste the beans if you know they are there, but honestly not in a bad way. I added more peanut butter, sugar, chocolate and vanilla to try to help mask it a bit more. Oh, and did I mention how easy they are? Definitely going to make this one again!


Chocolate Chip Blondies with a Secret
How I did it:


1 can (15 oz) Garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup brown sugar (can use less if you are used to non-traditional desserts)
3 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 cup chocolate chips (use diary-free if you are making this vegan)

1.  Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and 8" square pan (9" works as well). Set aside.

2. Place all ingredients (except the chocolate chips) into a food processor and blend until well combined and smooth. If your food processor is not large enough, split ingredients roughly in half and blend twice. You can then combine the two well-blended mixtures together by hand in a bowl.

3. Mix in chocolate chips (setting a couple handfuls aside) and pour mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining chips on top and lightly press down. 

4. Cook for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting. If you are in a rush put them in the fridge for a bit to harden up - if you try to cut them when they are still warm you will make mess! Store any not eaten that day in the fridge. 



No comments: