Thursday, May 3, 2012

Tomato Vegetable Stew with Bulgur



All day at work I was craving tomato soup so I had to make it when I got home. I have never been a huge fan of traditional tomato soups - just too boring and lacking in flavor, but I do adore tomatoes. With that in mind, I decided to make chunky tomato sauce, add some broth, and build from there. I wanted to add a grain of some sort and decided to use the bulgur I already had. Have you made anything yet with bulgur?  I highly recommend it! So far I have only added it to soups and stews, but it's really great. I threw in some garbanzo beans for protein and they were a great compliment to the tomato flavor. I should mention that my soups are always so thick that they are more like stews which is how I think all soup should be, but I labeled it stew to avoid confusion - it is very hearty! I will definitely be making this again - maybe swapping around some of the veggies for a little variety!

Tomato Vegetable Stew with Bulgur
How I did it:

(Servings: about 6)

2 cans San Marzano peeled tomatoes
16 oz broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 hearty splash of red wine
3 celery stalks, chopped (not 3 bunches!)
1/4 lb kale
2 green peppers, chopped
1/2 cup green onion (scallion)
2 summer squash, chopped
1/2 green beans, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 tsp Italian Seasonings
1 tsp Parsley
1 tsp Basil
1 can garbanzo beans
1 1/2 cups bulgur

1.  Chop all vegetables and set aside place in a bowl. Drain, rinse, and de-skin the garbanzo beans.

2. In a large pot (I used a stalk pot) empty the San Marzano tomatoes. Using your (washed) hands, squeeze the tomatoes until only bite sizes chunks remain. If you really don't want to use your hands you can use wooden spoon - just stir vigorously, mashing the tomatoes against the side of the pot.

3. Turn heat to medium and add the spices and red wine, mixing well. Cover for 3-5

4. Stir in the vegetables and cover pot. Let cook for at least 15 minutes and then add the bulgur and beans. Stir in well and re-cover for another 15 minutes.

5. Serve and let any remaining cool. Once cooled, store in and air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze for future enjoyment!

No comments: