Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Blueberry Steel Cut Oatmeal with Nuts



I was really craving a tasty breakfast and the question was how to make a tasty breakfast somewhat healthy and keep me full for a decent amount of time. Well, I have grown quite attached to steel cut oatmeal for its hearty taste and ability to keep me satisfied through the morning. My only real plan was to add blueberries and the rest I just made up as I went along. It turned out so great I had to make record of it. Such great flavor and texture -wow. And one small serving was really filling - and more importantly kept me full!

Blueberry Steel Cut Oatmeal with Nuts
How I Did It

(serves one)

1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup steel cut oats
3/4 tsp flaxseed meal
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1 tbsp milk/soy milk/almond milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp brown sugar
1/8 cup toasted slivered almonds
1/8 cup toasted chopped pecans

1. In a small sauce pot, bring water to a boil, reduce to medium heat and add oats and flaxseed meal. Wait about 5 minutes and then add the blueberries.

2. When water is almost absorbed add milk, spices and sugar and mix well.

3. When ready, turn off heat and stir in the toasted almonds and pecans.

No comments: